The Botanical Garden of Kinshasa was created in 1933 and initially called the Ferdinand De Bock Park, after the then-commissioner of the Moyen-Congo district. Located in downtown Kinshasa, the botanical garden, along with the zoo, is the only public ‘green lung’ in the heart of the capital. It covers 7 hectares and has 100 different tree species at present. After years of neglect, the Ministry of Environment, Nature Conservation, and Tourism closed the garden to allow its rehabilitation as a botanical garden. These efforts were made possible by the support of the French government and the participation of other institutions and associations: the European Union, the IUCN, the National Botanic Garden of Belgium, and the NGO Les Amis de la nature et des jardins.